By definition, depression is a common and serious mental condition that causes adverse effects on one’s feelings and behaviors. This sense of extreme sadness and gloom produces a range of symptoms that can vary from person to person.
Some of the most common symptoms of depression include:
- Existing in a state of sadness or depressed mood
- Declined interest in previously enjoyed activities
- Changes in appetite that can lead to drastic weight loss or weight gain
- Interrupted sleep patterns; insomnia
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, shame, etc.
- Trouble thinking clearly and/or making decisions
- Reduced energy and ambition; declining physical activity